Bulletin Board of Oral Pathology

Forum for Clinical and Surgical Oral Pathology

Case BBOPF 07-7

Dr. Faizan Alawi (University of Pennsylvania, School of Dental Medicine, USA) invites your comments on the microscopic findings of a lingual biopsy. Please send your diagnosis/comments in the window located below the images. This case will be posted from September 18 to September 25, 2007. A summary of the responses will be posted in BBOP.

Clinical History

An 87 year old male presented with an asymptomatic, 1.5 cm, yellowish "plaque" on his lateral tongue. He was unaware of its duration. He is otherwise healthy and has no history of an intraoral skin graft, gastrointestinal cancer or genodermatosis. An incisional biopsy was performed; the surgeon was considering a lipoma in his differential. Several photomicrographs are included below. Unfortunately, a clinical picture was not available. I showed this case to my dermatopathology colleagues here at the University of Pennsylvania, and after much discussion and reading we came to a consensus diagnosis.

• However, I would like to get some feedback from my oral pathology colleagues and would also like to know if anybody has encountered a similar looking lesion in the mouth.

I look forward to reading your responses.

Faizan Alawi

Images

Low Power 
[Click for a larger image]

Low Power 

Medium Power

Rudimentary Hair 

Polarized Hair 

Apocrine Glands

High Power sebaceous glands 

High power aprocrine gland 

Gland

Gland with sebaceous elements 

Iron Stain

THIS IS AN ACADEMIC EXERCISE ONLY. THE REPLIES ARE NOT TO BE CONSTRUED AS THOSE OF A CONSULTANT FOR LEGAL PURPOSES.

Case prepared by Dr. Alfredo Aguirre (BBOP Manager) and Daniel Emmer (Web Administrator, University at Buffalo School of Dental Medicine).

[Back to BBOP Home Page]